Voices for Change
For First-year and Transfer Students
As part of our comprehensive alcohol and violence prevention program, and in compliance with the Drug-Free Schools and Communities Act and the Campus SaVE Act, West Virginia University expects new students to complete "Voices for Change" by Get Inclusive: an online, non-opinionated, science-based wellness course taken by thousands of students each year. This includes members of the first-year class as well as undergraduate transfer students under the age of 24, regardless if you have taken a similar module at another institution. This module covers substance use, sexual violence, and diversity and inclusion. The information contained within the modules helps our students make responsible choices and it is vital to their success.
Requirement Details for Spring 2023 Incoming Students
- Log-in instructions for "Voices for Change" will be emailed to your WVU MIX account on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023. You will access the program through that email, using your WVU login credentials.
- Log-in instructions for part 2, called "Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD)", will be emailed to your WVU MIX account on Tuesday, March 6th, 2023 . MAKE SURE TO CHECK EACH OF YOUR INBOX FOLDERS FOR THE INVITATION. You will access the program through that email, using your WVU login credentials.
- The requirement for program completion applies to incoming students at WVU's Morgantown, Potomac State, and Institute of Technology campuses.
- The course has two parts, both of which must be completed by the designated deadlines to fulfill this requirement. Failure to do so will result in a $50 charge to your student account for each missed deadline.
- Part 1, "Voices for Change", takes approximately one hour to complete. You will receive the invitation to complete the program on Wednesday, January 4th, 2023. You can progress through the course in multiple sittings if you choose. The modules can be completed on a computer, tablet, or mobile device. The deadline for finishing Part 1 is Friday, January 20th, 2023.
- On Tuesday, March 6th, 2023, you will receive an email asking you to complete Part 2, entitled "Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD)". This course takes approximately 60 minutes to complete. The deadline for finishing Part 2 is Friday, March 24th, 2023 .
- Occasional reminders will be sent; however, it is the student’s responsibility to fulfill this requirement in a timely manner. We recommend completing the first module before classes begin.
Please note that the course includes surveys that measure students’ alcohol-related attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are strictly confidential; the school will only receive information about the student body as whole and will never see individual students’ answers.
Who is required to take the modules?
- First year students under the age of 24 at all branch campuses.
- Undergraduate Transfer students under the age of 24 at all branch campuses.
- Note: If you have taken a similar program before at another institution, you are still required to complete "Voices for Change" and "Alcohol and Other Drugs (AOD)" at this time.
- Still not sure if you have to take "Voices for Change" or "Alcohol and Other Drugs"? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Login InstructionsYou will receive login instructions for "Voices for Change" through your WVU MIX account on January 4th, 2023. The subject line will read: "Mandatory Training for all WVU Incoming Students Due 1/20/2023". Please remember to check your MIX account regularly as the University will use this as a primary method of contacting you.
Other Important Information
- You will need to use a computer, tablet, or mobile device with internet access and audio capabilities. Check your local library for free computer and Internet access. Also, businesses in your town may offer free Wi-Fi such as: Barnes & Noble, Panera Bread, Starbucks, and McDonalds.
- To avoid technical issues, please use any major web browser (e.g., Firefox, Safari, Google Chrome) released within the previous two years. If you experience issues, try some simple browser maintenance to see if this fixes the problem. If you continue to experience issues, contact the ITS Service Desk.
- You may take the course in multiple sittings.
- The course includes questions to help personalize your experience and measure students’ attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are confidential; the school will only receive information about the student body as a whole and will never see individual student’s answers.
*This page is updated periodically with the dates pertinent to the incoming first-year and transfer classes. If you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to contact our office at email@example.com.