AlcoholEdu for College
For Freshmen and Transfer Students
As part of our comprehensive alcohol prevention program, West Virginia University expects new students to complete AlcoholEdu for College – an online, non-opinionated, science-based course taken by hundreds of thousands of students each year. This includes members of the first-year class as well as transfer students under the age of 21, regardless if you have taken AlcoholEdu for College at another institution. Whether you drink or not, AlcoholEdu will empower you to make well-informed decisions about alcohol and help you better cope with the drinking behavior of your peers.
- Log-in instructions will be emailed to your WVU MIX account on July 18, 2018. At this time, you will have access to the log-in page
- The course has two sections, both of which must be completed by the designated deadlines to fulfill this requirement. Failure to do so will result in a $50 charge to your student account for each missed deadline.
- Part 1 of the course takes approximately two hours to complete and we recommend that you take it in multiple sittings. This part ends after Survey 2 and the Exam. You must earn a grade of 75% or higher to pass and receive credit for the course. The deadline for finishing Part 1 is August 13 , 2018.
- About 45 days after you complete Part 1, you will receive an email asking you to complete Part 2. The deadline to complete Part 2 is Oct 16, 2018.
- Occasional reminders will be sent; however, it is the student’s responsibility to fulfill this requirement in a timely manner.
Please note that the course includes three surveys that measure students’ alcohol-related attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are strictly confidential; the school will only receive information about the student body as whole and will never see individual students’ answers.
Who is required to take AlcoholEdu for College?
- First year students
- Transfer students under the age of 21
- Note: If you have taken AlcoholEdu for College before at another institution, including WVU branch campuses, you are still required to complete AlcoholEdu for College at this time.
- Still not sure if you have to take AlcoholEdu for College? Contact us at WELLWVUAlcoholEdu@mail.wvu.edu.
West Virginia University requires all first year and transfer students to complete two courses before starting classes. These two courses are:
1. AlcoholEdu For College
2. Sexual Assault Prevention for Undergraduates
More information about the Title IX course can be found at: https://titleix.wvu.edu/online-training
These courses are now available to be completed online.
How to Complete the Courses:
You can access both courses at https://shib.everfi.net/login/default.aspx?id=wvuaedusapu.
You will then submit your username and a password. Your username is your WVU Login credentials - the same one you use to access your MIX e-mail account.
If you have not activated your WVU Login, please go to https://login.wvu.edu.
Other Important Information
- You will need to use a computer with internet access and audio capabilities. Check your local library for free computer and Internet access. Also, businesses in your town may offer free Wi-Fi such as: Barnes & Noble, Panera Bread, Starbucks, and McDonalds.
- To avoid technical issues, please use any major web browser (e.g., Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google Chrome) released within the previous two years.
- You may take the course in multiple sittings.
- The course may include surveys to help personalize your experience and measure students’ attitudes and behaviors. All survey responses are confidential; the school will only receive information about the student body as a whole and will never see individual student’s answers.
- Should you experience problems, technical support is available 24/7 and can be accessed from the “Help” link within the course. You can also reach them by telephone at 1-866-384-9062.
- If Part 1 of AlcoholEdu is not completed by August 13, 2018, $50 will be charged to your student account.
- If Part 2 of AlcoholEdu is not completed by October 16, 2018, $50 will be charged to your student account.
As the parent or guardian of a new West Virginia University student, you are an important part of your student’s undergraduate career. We value the partnership we are entering into with you in the education of your student and we are committed to devoting time, energy and care to this relationship. Please take a moment and visit the following link http://everfi.com/alcoholeduforparents/ to familiarize yourself with AlcoholEdu program; this program will help you have a conversation about alcohol that will help shape the decisions your student makes related to alcohol use.
Potomac State College
Instructions for login will be posted in July 2018.