Skip to main content

Mental Health

Faculty & Staff

Faculty & Staff

Faculty and Staff

Faculty and staff may contact the Carruth Center if they encounter troubled students and are unsure how to help them. Simply call 304-293-4431 and ask to speak to a staff psychologist. This number can also be used for after-hours emergencies.

The pamphlet entitled Assisting the Emotionally Distressed Student: A Guide for West Virginia University Faculty and Staff can provide you with suggestions for sensitively handling problem behaviors students may exhibit in class and on campus. It also discusses how and when to refer a student to the Carruth Center.

We also work closely with the Office of Accessibility Services, should a faculty or staff member suspect a student has a learning or testing disability. Often, a referral from an instructor may tip the balance for a student who is hesitant about accepting our services.

Our Center is oriented to the needs of students. If you are faculty or staff member who would like assistance for yourself, please contact the WVU Faculty and Staff Assistance Program, a free and confidential problem-solving resource, at 304-293-5590.